Search For Genealogy Records In Our Archives!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wordless Wednesday: Mattie’s Book

I received an e-mail from a Mr. King inquiring if I was related to a Mattie E. Halley or if I knew someone that was related to her? He wrote that he has an old book that she once owned, it has a lot of writing in it from her and it also looked like she was practicing her signature in the back. He thought it might be a nice item for family members to have.

I e-mailed back to him telling him that Martha "Mattie" Ellen Halley was my Great Grand Aunt that she was born in 1866 and died in 1947 in Girard, Crawford County, Kansas. I was hoping this book belonged to her.

When Mr. King wrote back telling me that on the back page besides her signature was written Girard, Crawford County, Kansas, I knew this was the same Mattie!

Mr. King gave me his phone number so I could give him my address and verify the information. I called right away, I could not wait to find out how he found this book. He told me his mother bought the book at an Antique store a few years back in Girard, Kansas and he was helping his mother “clean” out stuff. He decided to goggle Mattie’s name and he found her tombstone image in my “virtual Cemetery” on find a grave.com along with my e-mail address.

With in the week I received the book. It is really old, over 135 years. In the back of the book it does look like she was practicing her signature. The book is entitled Andrew’s MANUAL of the CONSTITUTION.1

On the cover page it states DESIGNED FOR THE INSTRUCTION OF AMERICAN YOUTH IN THE DUTIES, OBLIGATIONS AND RIGHTS OF CITIZENSHIP.

Mattie has signed her name several times on the back pages. She also wrote when Utah, Washington, Montana, South and North Dakota became states. There are also some other writings that I cannot make out.

Mr. King was right this book is a nice item for family members to have and I am very thankful he decided to goggle Mattie!






1 Andrews Israel Ward, D.D., LL.D, (1874) Andrew’s MANUAL of the CONSTITUTION, Electric Press: Van Antwerp, Braggs & Co., Cincinnati.
Andrew's MANUAL of the Constitution

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beyond awesome! Just think... most people would have tossed it. Thankfully this person wondered about her :)

Anonymous said...

PS: I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT! What a great piece to add to your stuff!

Anonymous said...

How very thoughtful of Mr King and congrats on your new treasure :-)