Search For Genealogy Records In Our Archives!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wordless Wenesday: Alfred Abram and Katherine (Jones) VanNess: My 2nd Great grandparents

I finally found information on my brick wall! Researching my 2 great grand parents I could not find any information on them, I had names, place of birth and approximate birthdates but nothing showed up on Ancestry.com or Familysearch.org. I gave up after a while then one day last week I decided to start reaching them again.

I knew they lived and died in New York so I googled  New York Deaths,  I found a site called http://www.italiangen.org, they have a online search index for New York  deaths, marriages and  naturalizations. I found this site before but I thought this site just catered to Italian genealogy so I did not even bother to look at their indexes, this time I gave it a shot and typed in their names. Bingo! They showed up on their death index along with a death certificate number. I could have had this brick wall solved months ago!

I sent for their death records and Katherine’s came in the other day. This is her! Her place of birth, birthdate and parent’s names match what I have. Her death certificate stated the cemetery where she was buried. I googled the cemetery http://thecedargrovecemetery.com and to my surprise they had an online interment search. I typed in her name and there she was! The site gave me her lot and plot number. Along with Katherine, Alfred and several family members are buried by her. They even had a map of the cemetery sections, how convenient.

My sister lives in Brooklyn, I live in Florida, so I called her and she told me she is only 15 miles from the cemetery. Guess what she is doing this weekend? Yep, she is going to the cemetery for me to take tombstone pictures.  The whole time family members were buried 15 miles from my sister and we did not know it!

No comments: