Search For Genealogy Records In Our Archives!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wordless Wenesday; Mystery of Mathias Knaus solved!


Mystery of Mathias Knaus solved!
I have blogged before on how it was driving me crazy that I could not find information on when Mathias died. No one in my family remembered when he died but knew where he was buried. I flew to New Jersey last year to visit my Mother and talked her into driving me to St. Peters cemetery in New Brunswick. There are no tombstone inscriptions for St. Peters.
We asked the “keeper of the books” where his tombstone was and he looked up Mathias’s name. He stated there was no death date listed but he was buried in the family plot. When we found the family plot Mathias’s name was not on the headstone just his parents. The “Keeper of the books” said his records state that it was a double headstone and Mathias’s name should have been on it.
Over the year I searched every record source I could. I had an idea of when he died but with no exact death date I could not afford the process of elimination through the New Jersey State Archives.
Last week I decided to see if the New Brunswick Public Library updated their online newspaper search. They did! I typed in Mathias Knaus and found a death notice, now I know when my great great grandfather died, 05 Jan 1916. I also found several articles on him, one in particular....a notice of a will executed to his wife…..I sent away for it yesterday!

2 comments:

kinfolknews said...

Congratulations on the break through!
~Regina

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Good for you! Persistence and determination do pay off!!

Thanks for sharing...

Bill ;-)

http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"